Thursday, October 25, 2007

The week in review

I have been carrying my camera around with me but not taking pictures, so I don't have a lot of pics to post. A week ago today, we got to see Grammy, Papa, Granddad, and Grandma during their 3-hour layover at RDU en route to Europe. It was so great to have Grandma and Granddad meet Colin. I took my camera, of course, to document the meeting, and then let them escape to catch their flight and completely forgot to get a picture. Sad. On Friday, Jason headed for the coast to compete in a triathlon. I wasn't there so...no photos. The surf ended up being so rough that they cancelled the swim, so he technically did a modified duathlon. He still had fun. While he was gone, the boys and I hung out with my brother Mark (also spouseless for the evening) and his kids. We took them out to dinner, where it looked like we were a couple with 3-year-old twins, a 2-year-old, and a newborn. Wouldn't that be fun? Or something. When we got home, the kids and I made a spider cake. I didn't get a photo of that, either, but I made the same cake 2 years ago:

Ours looked just like this, except for the little artistic variation that only 3 helpful toddlers could add. We slept over at my parents' house Friday night, and Saturday morning my angel of a mother took both boys while I slept in. It was wonderful! Jason got back just in time for us all to go to a pig pickin' thrown by his boss. I took Morgan's apple pie, but didn't get any pictures of that, or the event. Hmmm...not doing so hot this week.

We finally got a break from the drought today and yesterday. (Hurricane season? What hurricane season?) Since we can't play outside, my friend and I took our boys to Pump It Up today. It's an indoor play space with all inflatable play areas...slides, basketball court, obstacle course, etc. Ethan had a great time. He must have gone down the slide 30 times. Here he is playing with Jack:

Finally, today Colin turned 8 weeks old! I cannot believe it...I feel like he was just born. He doesn't look like it, though. He is almost 13 pounds and way too long to be a 2 month old. He is becoming more and more interactive and fun. He's being a doll at night...sleeping from 9:30 pm to 4:00 am most nights. The only issue with that...I am not going to bed when he does, so when he thinks that 4:00 am is morning and time to play, I am perhaps a little less than enthusiastic...maybe even borderline grumpy (I know, hard to believe...since I'm such a morning person). I need to start going to bed earlier. Maybe after the World Series is over.

Here is the not-so-little guy:

In perhaps the most exciting news of the week, Ethan pooped in an actual toilet instead of his little plastic potty. I never thought it would happen. I was so excited I ran to the phone to share the happy news with Jason. Then I thought, "Has it really come to this??" I can just imagine the conversation: Me: Honey, guess what? Ethan pooped in a toilet! One that flushes! J: Um, that's great, sweetie. [In my imaginary conversations, he calls me by endearments of my choice.] Me: I know. I never thought it would happen!! Should we go out tonight to celebrate? J: Uh, sure. I have to go save people's lives now. Bye. Luckily, I came to my senses just as I was about to dial, but then I plunged into a severe depression. I changed the channel from "Backyardigans" to "Price Is Right" to make myself feel better, which is perhaps equally depressing, but let's not dwell on that for too long. On a side note, I miss Bob. Drew Carey giggles too much. Oh, and...GO SOX!

3 comments:

Nathan said...

enjoyed the photos and the imaginary conversation

Ann said...

Hey "Sweetie"
Those imaginary conversations will prove very valuable during the next 35 years of marriage. Colin is just a little doll! Kudos to Ethan and the Sox. Loved the update!

PapaRandy said...

Who would have known that POOP would end up being such an exciting topic to write about!
Congrats to Ethan!
By the way, we really should have taken a photo of the four generations that met that day at Duke :(