Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Brothers

The purpose of this post is to document the following so I can refer to it in a few years when the boys are trying to kill each other: Ethan has really warmed up to Colin. Yesterday, Colin was enjoying some tummy time while Ethan watched a TV show. I stepped out of the room for a few minutes at about the time Colin decided he was done with tummy time and started fussing. When I walked back into the room, Ethan was on the floor lying next to Colin, rubbing his back and saying, "It's okay, baby Colin. It's okay." Later that day, while I had Colin up on my shoulder burping him, Ethan came up and whispered to him, "Colin, do you want to play with me when you get bigger?" Tonight while we were in Target Colin decided he was starving (it takes him about 57 seconds to get from "Hmmm...maybe I'm a little hungry" to "I'm about to die here!"). We had a bottle of formula with us but rushed home so he could breastfeed. He was screaming in the car on the way, when Ethan reached across the middle seat, picked up the bottle and popped it in Colin's mouth, saying, "Here you go, baby Colin." He held it there for the 3 minute ride home. So sweet! (That's right...I live 3 minutes from Target, and that's if you get stuck at the light. And 4 minutes from Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano's, Pottery Barn, and countless other amazing stores, and 4.5 minutes from Cold Stone, Old Navy, Best Buy, REI, and P.F. Chang's. Luckily for my wallet, having 2 young kids with you on shopping expeditions limits your ability to do much browsing.) On other note, there has been a new social development at preschool. Here was the conversation on the way home today: Me: Who did you play with at school today? Ethan: Justin. Me: Did you play with Ryan, too? Ethan: Yes. Me: Did you play with Mason? Ethan: Yes. Me: Did you play with Bea? Ethan: No. She's a girl. Boys have to play with boys. Me (surprised): Oh....really? Um, okay. (A few minutes pass in silence.) Ethan: Mom, are you a girl? Me: Yes, I am. Ethan: Well, I can just play with you. Umm...thanks. I think. Finally, since I have no new pictures to post, here's documentation of my failed, pathetic attempt to get both boys to nap at the same time today so I could sleep, too. Since Ethan no longer naps, it's not like my chances for success were that great...

7 comments:

Mandy said...

This is exactly why I love blogging - to document all the things you will probably forget but need to remember to keep you sane when your boys are beating each other up! What a sweet boy Ethan is and if you do forget that on one of his "off" days, just read this post to remind you! These stories are the perfect example of why we love being moms.

Kelli Salter said...

Ethan is so sweet, not what we expected his reaction to be to Colin. I love your attempt to all take a nap. Good luck with that. We miss you guys.

-k

Ann said...

I loved the stories you shared about Ethan. I'm not sure Jason ever gently patted Ryan's back or held his bottle for him...but I may have been too overwhelmed to notice. I do...however remember the time he...

PapaRandy said...

I'm glad you are a blogger! It's such a great way to stay closer.

Erin G. said...

You're so lucky!! I don't have ONE of the stores you mentioned within a 45 (not 4-5, 45) minute drive from my house. Probably good for my wallet too.

Leslie said...

hi kim! i'm so glad to see you're blogging! you look absolutely gorgeous and your boys are darling. ooo, just love that little baby colin's face! he's SO cute!

Harris Beach Bums said...

Love reading your blog Kim. Your growing family is so cute!