Saturday, July 9, 2011

California: SLO

At the beginning of July we flew to California. The kids were great, although I don't love flying so I was glad when it was over. Madeline did insist on sitting in my lap most of the way. I'm not used to having a kid who wants to sit in my lap. It's both endearing and a little annoying. I did talk her into sitting in the same seat as her brother and watching a movie for a little while.

We landed and drove straight to Todd and Ashley's to attend Ryan's baby blessing. Ryan is gorgeous! It was fun to be there with everyone. Maddie had a complete diaper blowout on the drive over. While Jason and I were dealing with it in the front yard, Colin walked into the house and wandered from person to person saying, "Hi, I'm Colin Harris, and this is my friend Ethan." His uncles called him "Colin Harris" the rest of the trip and often asked him where his friend Ethan was. The next day we caravanned up to San Luis Obispo, stopping in Santa Barbara for lunch and frozen yogurt. The drive was nothing short of torture. Southern California traffic is more than I can handle. Do you get used to it if you live there?

As miserable as the traffic was, it was totally worth the trip to get to Ryan and Leanne's ranch in SLO. It's a complete dream property. There are no words. Madeline and Colin found a leftover Easter egg in the backyard and spent the rest of the evening looking for more (they found two total). We danced in the barn, had a water balloon fight and a game of kickball, partied with a DJ, had a talent show, rode the 4-wheeler, the guys played paintball, and we did fireworks. Jason and Ethan even slept in the barn one night with Toby and Ben and Todd. It was hotter than I expected but so fun to be together with the entire Harris clan (including Bonnie) and Leanne's family. The best part of the entire weekend was Leanne and Ryan announcing they are pregnant with twins. We are SO happy for them. Thanks, Ryan and Leanne, for an unforgettable weekend!

No comments: