Sunday, August 29, 2010

Good riddance

I've never been happier for a weekend to end. Madeline threw up Tuesday last week, while Colin threw up Wednesday and Thursday. Friday started with an early morning annual physical for Ethan and Colin, which went very smoothly. Ethan was a good sport (he knew he didn't need shots), Colin asked, "What about me??" any time the doctor did any exam on Ethan, and Maddie entertained herself by crawling around the floor of the exam room pretending to be a dog and saying, "Ruff ruff!" over and over. Colin didn't cry for his shot or the finger prick (I think that's a first for me/us). Friday ended with me staying up until 1:30 in the morning getting ready for Saturday. Saturday entailed Jason leaving at 7:00 am and arriving home at 7:45 Saturday night. We hosted a small church social Saturday evening that started at 7:30, so the downstairs was spotless before I went to bed Friday night, and I had pre-made breakfast and taken upstairs every possible thing I could think of that we would need. I didn't let the kids downstairs at all except to walk out the front door because we had to leave the house for 2 hours in the morning to run some errands that couldn't be put off. I told them we were having a fun "upstairs" day. This wouldn't have been a big deal except for: (1.) Ethan wakes up at 6:20 with horrible stomach pain. He never throws up but is running a fever of 102 most of the day and really wiped out. (2.) I am attempting to potty train Colin. Don't ask how it's going. (3.) Madeline is incredibly (and unusually) fussy all day. She spends most of the day crying. At the very end of the day I discover she's cutting FOUR molars all at once. Poor thing. Although I'm actually a little relieved because I was starting to worry that my easy going little girl was broken. Here's what dinner looked like: And the room got even messier than this. Here's a picture where Maddie is actually not crying, even though I swore she didn't stop all day long. Here's a random picture not from this weekend. I was reminded of it when I uploaded the picture above. Maddie loves chairs...I could fill the house with little Maddie-sized chairs and she would be in heaven. She's just hanging out in a car seat that was sitting by the front door. She makes us smile. We made it through the weekend. There are worse things in life than being home with sick/fussy kids all weekend. I know that. In some ways it makes me feel guilty for complaining at all, or for even acknowledging that I had a (relatively) bad day. Still, some days as a mom of young kids are harder than others, more stressful than others. I'm proud of myself because I didn't lose it and yell at my kids out of stress/frustration, which is the only thing I really regret after days like Saturday. Although I'm worried the kids may have gone crazy. This is where I found Colin Sunday evening. Not entirely sure what his plan was here. He's so funny. Tomorrow is Colin's much-anticipated birthday and I am determined to make this week better than last!

3 comments:

Jessica Sorensen said...

We had a crazy and hectic week too. It was a full moon I looked it up because I knew something had to be going on. Here's hoping for a better week and no sick kids. Happy Birthday Colin!

Ann said...

Sorry Kimberly. Hoping everyone is well and happy to celebrate Colin's big day tomorrow. Skype me when he opens up his gift.

Rachel said...

You are truly amazing. Mom said the social was a smashing success, and you are great to host it. Once I get rid of Lucy (Wednesday, hooray) we need to get together.