Monday, August 30, 2010

Colin's 3!!

Colin is so hard to describe. He is passionate and intense, so full of love and energy and very strong opinions. As busy as he is, he also lives life at his own pace. He takes 3 times longer to eat meals than the rest of us, 3 times longer to put on his shoes, or walk across the parking lot. This is a little tough since he was born into a fast-paced house, but I've accepted that we aren't going to change him.

He's also a hoarder. He hoards food in his cheeks. He collects rocks and sticks everywhere we go. He piles toys into his bed and carries around handfuls of coins. It's cute now, but in 30 years when he appears on a cable reality show about hoarding, I'll regret mentioning it here.

He has to copy everything Ethan says or does. Every word out of Ethan's mouth is immediately repeated, down to the exact intonation, 10 seconds after he says it. He's interested in everything Ethan thinks is cool.

There aren't a lot of pictures of him on this blog because in most, he is in motion or not looking at the camera, or like this one, where he's trying to open one of his presents but won't crack a smile for anything.

His two favorite phrases right now are "That AWESOME!!" and "No fair!" Except I don't think he really knows what "no fair" means, because he'll say things like, "You made dinner? No fair!" (Although maybe he's just being perceptive. There are 5 people in this house. Is it fair that I'm always the one that makes dinner?) He wanted a Thomas train cake from the grocery store that we had to visit every week. After he took his first bite of birthday cake he yelled, "Mom!! This Thomas chocolate cake AWESOME!!" So easy to please. I love it.

He loves Legos and will play in Ethan's room with his Legos alone for an hour or more at a time. Sometimes he'll come find me and say in this really cute, high voice, with his hands on his chin, "Mom, you want come play Legos me?" It's impossible to resist.

He'll just out of the blue say, "I love you, Mom." It melts me.

He's struggling with his middle child, 2nd boy role. He gets jealous of Ethan and Maddie. We try to give him lots of extra love and attention, but I feel like I'm always being pulled in 13 different directions, which I don't understand because I only have 3 kids.

He's had a huge emotional growth this summer. His speech has come a really long way after not being able to communicate well for most of his 2-year-old year. Along with it, he's a lot more mature and reasonable.

He still needs a nap more often than not, wakes up in the afternoon really rough (he gets that from his mom), and almost always has a smile on his face. He's cute and charming and sweet and I am completely in love with him.

He's been waiting all summer for his happy birthday, and I'm so glad it's finally here for him. We had my parents and brother Mark and his family over for dinner, cake, and presents. He loved the Darth Vader pinata, although I forgot I had hung it up in the closet, and was a little freaked out by the disembodied Vader head staring back at me when I opened the door earlier this week.

Happy birthday, darling 3-year-old. I love you SO much.

6 comments:

Harris Beach Bums said...

So cute. Happy Birthday sweet Collin!

P.S. That Vader pinata is AWESOME!!

Morgan Moore said...

Happy Birthday! Henry is very excited to play lego's with you & Ethan.

Love the last picture of you three- so adorable!

Ann said...

Grammy loves you Colin! It was fun to watch you open your birthday gift. We should all have such enthusiasm for life!

*megan said...

It was fun catching up on your blog this morning. And fun to learn more about my niece and nephews. Happy Birthday Colin! He is such a cute boy Kim. We are looking forward to seeing you in 2 weeks! Our kids will have so much fun together at the beach. Love you!

Morgan Moore said...

I'm back to say how much I LOVE your new banner on the blog. Can't wait to see you guys!

PapaRandy said...

AWESOME! But NO FAIR we don't live closer so we could hug our grand kids more.