Friday, July 2, 2010

Jackson, Wyoming

After a LONG drive... ...we arrived in Jackson Hole. We LOVE Jackson Hole. The scenery, the weather, the fun things to do. I think it's one of my top 5 favorite places in the world. Jason and I both have such happy childhood memories there, and we're hoping our kids will, too. Jason took Ethan fly fishing with him for the first time. They fished with a guide on the Salt River. And caught several. Ethan loved it. Hopefully the first of many, many fishing trips for these two. We also took the kids on their first alpine slide ride. They both cried that they only got to go one time each. I think this might have been the highlight of the whole trip for them. One morning we took them over to Teton National Park, rode the boat across Jenny Lake, and hiked up to the waterfall. Beautiful! I don't remember coming here as a kid, but Jason does. Ethan did great, Colin walked almost the whole way up and down after we made it a game of taking "big dinosaur steps." We could not for the life of us get them all to look at the camera. Is that really too much to ask? Some day I'll be able to bribe them with something they really want. Some day. Maddie liked the pack we rented so much that she conked out on the hike down. And who doesn't love a boat ride? The only downer was a severe middle-of-the-night asthma attack. I was ready to take Maddie to the hospital but Jason worked her through it with one albuterol treatment after another. We got her on an oral steroid the next day, which worked wonders. I snapped this sweet photo of the boys while I was up checking on Maddie at 3:00 am.

My favorite memory of our time there wasn't actually something we did, but something Ethan said. The boys wanted to watch a show before falling asleep one night, and there were NO kid shows on (it was 10:00 pm) except for some Tinker Bell/fairy movie about gems or something like that. (I don't know my fairy movies yet...give me a few years.) Anyway, Ethan did not want to watch it, and was absolutely disgusted, but given the choice between that and no TV at all, he caved. Apparently it had some boy fairies (??), some magic, some adventure, because I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed when Ethan ran in and announced in a very serious and excited tone, "Mom, I have always wanted to see this movie even though I hate it," and ran back to the bed.

Jackson was fun and happy and relaxing. I could have stayed for another week (or month...or more).

No comments: