Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Perspectives

Me: I really do not like the overhead lights in this house.
Jason: What? What's wrong with them?
Me: What do they look like to you?
Jason: Oh. Maybe that's why I like them.
Nice.
We survived the move and we're pretty settled in. I haven't taken any pictures yet, though. We still need to get a few last things out of the way first. Hopefully this weekend. The kids took a little time to adjust but are now both doing great. The movers left at 1:00 pm on Friday afternoon, and my mom and dad dropped the boys off at 5:30. In between, I turned on my iPod, put on my headphones and got to work unpacking both boys' rooms, the playroom, and the guest room. When Ethan saw all his toys unpacked, bath toys in the bathtub, everything just like before, it went a long way towards making it "okay." He kept saying, "I'm so excited I'm going to cry!" It was cute. I was playing around with the camera on Sunday morning and got this shot of him. I love the sweet, un-posed expression on his face.
Ethan then took this picture of me. See the boxes and the empty bookshelf behind me? That's why there are no pictures of the house on this blog yet. Colin didn't seem to have any adjustment period at all. He did wake up one morning and decide he suddenly knew how to climb stairs. They're hardwood and would really hurt to fall down so that's been a struggle. We're trying to decide what to do about baby gates. On Sunday morning before church I found him in my closet looking out the window. I think he's so cute. Then he assumed his favorite yoga position. He does this frequently throughout the day. I have no clue why. He laughs and laughs when he does it. He cracks me up. When he's not completely frustrating me. He's been trouble lately, and I've been calling him on it. Like, "Hey, Trouble, stop emptying the pantry shelves!" (It's super effective. He laughs and keeps going.) He was trying to take a toy from Ethan (something he does near-constantly) when Ethan yelled, "Stay away from me, Trouble!" I need to be more careful what I call my kids, I guess. You never know what will stick. We didn't waste any time breaking in the new house. In the first week, we spilled soda all over the gorgeous wood floors in the kitchen, Ethan vomited on his bedroom floor, and Colin pooped up to his neck and down the outside of his diaper (HOW does he do that???), I failed to notice it (HOW did I do that???), took off his clothes, and laid him down on his back on the brand new carpet. (On a side note, Ethan started vomiting a mere 5 hours after the washer and dryer were delivered. Given the amount of laundry I did the whole night, it was perfect timing all things considered.) It's nice not to have to worry about the house getting "ruined." We've thrown our worst at it and still love it. I was totally in love with the floor plan before, and I love it even more after living in it.

Jason loves his new job. I love his new schedule. He's home for dinner every night and home every weekend. We don't know what to do with ourselves. In fact, he went to go see a movie one night because he just couldn't take all the "free" time any more. My mom says we are going through the adjustment period that most couples go through at retirement. I think it will be great but it may take some time getting used to having him around SO much. I may have to sign him up for some extracurricular activities just to get him out of the house.

Tomorrow evening we have a babysitter coming while Jason and I join my parents for golf (if we don't get rained out) and dinner at a steak house we all want to try. We have been dealing with a lot of not-fun stuff lately, so I'm really looking forward to going out and doing something relaxing and fun!

8 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so happy for you guys. How fun! I totally know what you're saying about the adjustment period. When John finally finished school, and we settled into a routine, he ignored me for a week. I thought he was mad....but come to realize, he was just falling back into the old habit of not talking to me for long periods of time because he wasn't used to being around me so much. That quickly changed as we realized we could establish NORMAL habits. You'll LOVE it.

Nathan said...

Since when do closets have windows?
Questions aside, I really enjoyed the update. Jason, welcome to the workforce and congrats on what sounds like the best job in the free world!

Kelli Salter said...

can't wait to see pictures of the house! although i will settle for cute pictures of the boys. congrats to jason, sounds like you guys need another trip to europe :)

Ann said...

Loved the update! Can't wait to come see those cute boys and the new house next week...oh yeah...and you too.

Mandy said...

Kimberly, I always love hearing your life stories. I feel like I was there for the vomit and the poop, of wait I did the same thing last week! Glad to hear you are loving your house and that Jason loves the fixtures :) Men!

Anonymous said...

Your hair is getting so long! I love it. The boys- adorable as ever. Enjoy your night out.

I love you!

xoxo

Kierra said...

The whole light issue, um ya. There were about five of those installed in my sister-in laws house after they realized what they looked like. And there were two in one room, side by side. It made for great conversation! Glad to see you are finally moving in and getting settled! Its such a freeing feeling, especially after 15 yrs, to be done with school! But those loans, well they are a different kind of bondage!

Ashley said...

Nathan, I was not kidding when I said Kim's closet is the size of our future apartment. She is way too spoiled. Also, we have the boob fixtures in our current place and have spent many nights talking in bed staring at the boob above us. Todd also seems to like them fine.