Thursday, February 12, 2009

The First Decade

For the last three months, Jason has come home every day to a filthy house, a 1-year-old sitting at the table who has smeared himself head to toe with his dinner, a 4-year-old who thinks his dad lives to play with him, and a wife in the fetal position on the couch. Typing this, I'm starting to wonder why he comes home at all. As if all that isn't enough, he never gets to exercise outside, because he's always helping me with the kids until after dark. And he has never once complained.

But today was different. Because today is our 10-year anniversary. And to thank Jason for the most amazing 10 years of my life, I cleaned the house (okay, straightened it up a little) and left him a note explaining that I was taking the kids to the grocery store (to pick up steaks and chocolate pie for dinner for us) and then to McDonald's for dinner (for them) where they could make a mess someone else would clean up. He was supposed to get off work at 4:00, which would leave him plenty of time to go biking or running in the state park by our house (his current favorite form of exercise). All afternoon I kept thinking about how happy he was going to be.

And then he got stuck at work until 7:00. 

The great thing about 10 years of marriage is that I still get points for the effort/thought, and we enjoyed a really nice, yummy dinner together. When we first got married, I knew we had 10 years of post-grad training to "get through" before "real" life started, and it seemed like forever. It went so fast. The first 10 years were more wonderful, fulfilling, fun, and adventure-filled than I had ever imagined. I can't wait to see what the next 10 bring!

6 comments:

Restless Mom said...

congrats on 10 years!

Sara said...

Congrats! You guys have taught us things you know.....like his days and her days on vacation, and even through out the week. It works great! Glad your 10 years has helped our 9!

Keep it up.

Hawk Highlights said...

Congratulations! You are wonderful individually, but together you are astounding - Keep it up! We love you both!

Ann said...

Ahhh....It has been wonderful to watch you grow together through the years. The avocado tree lives!!!

Morgan Moore said...

Ahh! Happy Anniversary. And Kim, I know you. I mean I really KNOW you and I have a very hard time believing your house was 'filthy'- were you mistaking your house with ours? They are so comparable- it'd be easy to do.

Meagan said...

congrats guys! you are an inspiration!