Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Draw

This week had some really bad moments and some really great moments. I don't remember much in between. We've all been dealing with a mild (thank goodness) GI bug so there were some rough days towards the beginning of the week. At one particularly tense moment Tuesday evening, after a series of unfortunate events, Ethan said, sadly, "I miss Daddy." I couldn't have agreed more, even if it did make me feel like a bad mom. In an attempt to get dinner made without Colin melting down from hunger, I gave him a teething biscuit. He loved it, but this is the price you pay for a contented baby:

I'm not sure the full effect is coming across. Here's a closeup. It's in his hair, on his sleeves, and all over this high chair. He loved every second.

You would never know from these pictures that my house was a disaster, Ethan had been crying about 10 minutes before, and that I was on the verge of losing it. I put the kids to bed, spent some time in the fetal position under my covers, then watched American Idol and The Biggest Loser and felt much better about life. I really love those shows. After months of dealing with the drought, we have had overcast, rainy weather for what feels like weeks. We have spent a lot of time playing inside. On Sunday, we made Jason a treasure map of the first floor of the house, which led to another treasure map of the second floor of the house, which led to a treasure (cookies) hidden in Ethan's room. It was so fun and I wish I had taken pictures of Ethan's sweet, excited face when Jason (finally) got home from work and went treasure hunting. One of the many things I adore about Jason is his ability to walk in from work and immediately pick up with Ethan as if he has been here all day. They are so cute together.

Colin has discovered toys and is loving them. He thinks they taste great. He has resumed his regular sleeping schedule and his cheerful disposition is back. I am very relieved. Despite the bad start to the week, it ended well. We had some really fun days together just playing and hanging out. Last night, I was finally able to use the gift certificate my in-laws gave me for my birthday. I went and got a 75-minute Pedicure of Death. They have a more fancy name for it but mine is really more appropriate. There was a funny moment when the pedicurist asked, "So are you going to prom tomorrow?" Ummm...what....as a chaperone? I had forgotten to put my jewelry on so I wasn't wearing my ring, and she had been dealing with prom customers all day, but still. I don't look that young. I took it as a compliment. Anyway, my feet are soft and ready for summer and my toes feel pretty. Thank you, Ann and Randy! This morning Ethan started soccer. He is on a team with his friends Ryan and Jack. They just ran drills this morning. Ethan had a great time and was so excited to wear his shin guards and show off his super soccer kick. If you recognize that quote, you have a 3-year-old. We spent the rest of the day visiting with my family, including my brother-in-law Greg, who was in town. It was so great to see him!

Now I have to get organized and packed because we are headed to Grammy's house on Monday. Jason has a few vacation days left to use, so we are dropping the kids off and heading to Key Largo BY OURSELVES for 72 hours. We cannot wait!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Can we trade lives? I think I could put up with a GI bug if I were going to Key Largo and had a pedicure! Just kidding. It stinks having a sick family. I have had several of those "I'm going to lose it" moments this week. Evan has paritally decided to be potty trained and it is trying my patience!

Ann said...

LOVED the update...especially "going to prom" question. The picture of Ethan on the soccer field made me cry...seems like yesterday I was watching his dad on the soccer field. Can't wait to see everyone!!!

stephanie said...

hey guys! first of all...i'm so excited for your new home you're building!! it looks so beautiful! don't you love those pedicure gift certificates? my dad got one for all of us girls at christmas, & i just used mine before we went to hawaii. but i didn't get asked about prom :) that is too funny. your kids are so cute.