Saturday, March 12, 2011

Y Guides

Ethan and Jason finished up their first year of Y Guides with a campout down at the coast. It's been a really fun activity for them to do together. I think they sent the picture of soda in bed just to torture me. This actually ended up being a pretty scary experience. There were tornados tearing through North Carolina all day. When they hit Raleigh they did some pretty serious damage. My mom was huddled in a bathroom in Wal-Mart in Cary with a woman who called home after it passed to find out (from her husband) that their roof was completely gone. I was upstairs with Colin and Madeline when it sounded like a train was coming through the master bathroom. I ran downstairs and turned on the TV, but the satelite cable was out. My dad called right after that to make sure we were okay. It didn't touch down near our house, but the wind was crazy. It left Raleigh and headed to the coast...straight to where the Y Guides troop was camping in a remote area in a small log cabin. I was on the phone on and off with Jason that evening, and in between was sitting on my bed with my laptop watching the storm pass over them and praying it wouldn't touch down. They came through it fine, albeit with a few traumatized 6-year-olds. It ended up touching down across the river a few miles away, and wreaking havoc across the state, so it was a little too close for me. I'm sure Ethan will never forget it!

No comments: