Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wheels

When I was pregnant with Ethan, the sedan we had (our only car) completely died after 12+ painful months of paying more for car repairs than we would have for a car payment. We bought a Mazda Tribute (with 4WD for those Boston winters). We put 85,000 miles on it over the next 5 years, 20 days and absolutely loved it. We never spent a single cent on a repair that wasn't part of regularly scheduled/expected maintenance (oil changes, brake pads, tires, etc).

HOWEVER, once I was pregnant with Colin, I started dreaming of a minivan. The only woman in America dying to have one? Probably. But I knew it would make life SO much easier. Jason, being practical and financially responsible (how boring), said, "Not until we have 3 kids. We really don't need it before then."

The Friday before Christmas we stopped at a car lot on our date and looked at minivans. Twenty-four hours later, we drove this into our driveway. I LOVE IT.

Ethan was sad to say goodbye, though. He's a sentimental kid. Oh, and he wants to upgrade to a limo when we're done with the minivan. A sentimental kid with aspirations, clearly.

And lest you think Jason finally caved to my whining, cajoling, begging, pleading...baby #3 is due July 31.

16 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! Congratulations Kim and Jason! That is wonderful! I think I am going to put my money on a boy......

Erin G. said...

Ah, another Honda in the family. Now we would ALL own a honda if Kristen hadn't just gotten a Toyota! And three of us own Honda Minivans! Ha! I love mine too. I love those sliding doors and the ROOM. It's the best car out there (though I've heard it can have electrical problems so watch out for that).

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! That is really exciting. I too dream of a minivan...one day...

Ann said...

We are so excited for grandchild #14!!! And for the minivan too...now we can all go riding together when we come to town.

*megan said...

Didn't think I'd ever do it. Did it.
Makes life a whole lot easier.
Enjoy!

Meagan said...

Congrats guys...on both additions!

Erinn said...

Congratulations...on both of course!

Brooke said...

Kim, I thought we were going to have all of our children at the same time. You're a brave woman. I am fearful of what #3 will do to me. That sounds terrible, but I really am. Congratulations on both, the minivan and the baby on the way. That's great news!

Mandy said...

Congrats Kimberly and Jason on baby #3! And Kim congrats on having your minivan dream fulfilled!

Marshall Nair said...

Congratulations on both a baby and a minivan. I too keep saying we stay in our sedans until we have three kids, but it sure would be nice.

jbel said...

Hey congrats Kim! I found your blog from Meg's site. It's so fun to see what you've been up to. I love how much your oldest looks JUST LIKE YOU. It's so adorable.

I'm hoping you have a girl for #3. I have two and know how much fun PINK can be!!!

Julie said...

Such exciting news! Congratulations on baby #3! And you will love your minivan - we have an Odyssey too!

Frederick Family BlogSpot said...

Kim-

Congratulations on the baby!!! And I'm also one of those crazy women who dreamed of a minivan, and I only have 2 kids. We love our van even with only 2. Hope you love yours too.

-Julie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! We are so happy for you!!

Sara said...

Yay for baby #3! YAY!!!!

Restless Mom said...

congratulations! how exciting! you are such a suburban mommy!