Friday, November 30, 2007

Snow the Elf

If you have a preschooler, you should consider running out and buying this guy. He's the "Elf on the Shelf." It's a big deal around here, and a cute idea. There's a book that goes with it. You read the book, which describes the rules (no touching the elf, you can talk to him but he can't talk to you, you have to give him a name, etc.). Ethan named him "Snow." Every night he flies back to the North Pole to report to Santa on how everyone in the house behaved that day. Every morning he reappears in the house somewhere and the kids are supposed to search to find him. Ethan loves looking for him every morning. Since Ethan is more practical than whimsical, he was a little skeptical at first, trying to convince us that pretend elves can't talk or walk. We explained that he could fly, so then Ethan was freaked out and concerned that the scary elf would fly into his room at night. We promised his room is off limits. It's a little pricey at $30, but if you are more creative and have more energy than I, you could easily make one. I think it may be a fun tradition for our family.

5 comments:

Kelli Salter said...

I have a friend who does that with her girls out here, it works great. They love looking for the elf each day and it's always a good tool to get the kids to behave.

PapaRandy said...

Great idea for kids and parents. But I must tell you actual elf looks like he's been eating too much fruitcake!

Harris Beach Bums said...

Great idea!

Mandy said...

Love this idea. I am not sure if Evan would really understand it this year, but I think I will have to try it next Christmas.

*megan said...

Why didn't I think of that? I wonder if it will still work for Gavin. Thanks for sharing. We will try it out.