Friday, May 14, 2010

Turks & Caicos

Jason left for Grand Turk where he met up with his friend Ryan for several days of non-stop diving. He had a great time and perfect weather. While he was gone, Madeline got sick yet again. I took her to the ER on Sunday while my mom watched the kids. The idiots who saw her said she was fine and I was overreacting to a cold. I knew better. I took her to her pediatrician the next morning, since she was still breathing fast and retracting. The pediatrician said her airways were so tight that you couldn't hear any wheezing. Several treatments later we went home with our own nebulizer, a diagnosis of asthma, and an oral steroid. My mother in law came the next day to stay with the kids while I joined Jason in the Caribbean. Since her "attacks" had never lasted more than 24 hours, we thought we were safe. Even then, I was nervous about leaving her, especially because I knew how uncomfortable Ann was. Ann ended up taking her to the doctor twice and giving countless nebulizer treatments and having a generally miserable time.

My flight arrived just as Ryan's was leaving. Jason and I stayed in a little hotel on Provo. The first night we went out to a great dinner. It started to rain right as we left.

The next morning was clear and gorgeous so we rented a car and drove to the far side of the island. It's uninhabited over there and pretty remote. We had the beach completely to ourselves all day.

Can you spot Jason in the picture below? It's like a Where's Waldo game.

We hiked through the water.

Found some sea creatures along the way.

Found the cave we had read about.

Climbed the ladder.

And found this at the top. It reads: "RIP St. Louis. Burnt at sea. 1842."

Along with a gorgeous view. It was a perfect first day. Then it rained for the next three straight days, and Maddie wasn't getting better, and Ann was at the end of her rope. I looked in to flights home but there weren't any until the weekend, so we tried to make the best of it, since we figured Ann wouldn't be babysitting our kids anytime soon.

No comments: