Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ow

We had a great week. My mother-in-law came to visit and help out with the kids, Ethan started kindergarten, Maddie turned 3 weeks old. All very fun and eventful. I'll have to post pictures later. Last night at 2 am my father-in-law flew in to meet Maddie and spend the weekend. This morning Jason took Ethan and my in-laws on a 3 mile hike in the state park by our house. I stayed home with Madeline and Colin. Twenty minutes before they were due back, Colin really wanted to carry Maddie to the couch to hold her. I was carrying her down at his level and he was "helping" me. We were 3 feet from the couch when I walked into the wheel of a metal Tonka dump truck. I wasn't even walking fast. It really, really hurt, but I didn't think much of it. I sat on the couch and it hurt more and more. I looked down and knew my toe was broken, because it was sticking out at a 30 degree angle and swelling fast. I called Jason, and we spent the afternoon at the ER (expedited because he's a doctor at the hospital we went to, thank goodness). They set it, taped it, and gave me a lovely boot to wear for the next week. I feel clumsy and stupid and I'm in pain, but at least I'm not stuck using crutches with a newborn to take care of.

8 comments:

Ann said...

You were very controlled to endure this without cussing! Sorry...

Erin G. said...

Did I ever blog about breaking my toe by walking down the hallway? I stubbed it on the metal heater along the bottom the day before we were to move. How can they break that easily??? And, seriously, that hurts!

Harris Beach Bums said...

Ouch!You are one tough Mama!

Sara said...

Ugh! I just stepped on a matchbox car this morning.....I'll have to be more careful. Sorry about the boot and pain! Take care of yourself!

Rhonda Riley said...

Yeouch...I'm sorry about that toe :( !!! So glad you had an 'in' with the hospital. Get better fast...

Mandy said...

Good thing you have connections. Child birth and a broken toe all in a month. I think your pain quota is done for the year!

Kimberly said...

Ouch! Did Jason review the xray for you? :-) Glad you have connections, but sorry you had to use them!

Hope you mend quickly!!

Bonnie said...

Kim, I'm sorry to hear you have broken your toe. Julie Kelley has broken hers very recently, also.