Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Storm of the Century

On Wednesday the doctor's office called to say that the office might not be open for Colin's Thursday afternoon appointment due to the weather. I responded with, "Right. Of course. That makes sense." Then hung up and immediately jumped on weather.com to find out what severe, impending-doom forecast I had missed. Freezing rain. Thursday at 6:00 am. It was supposed to be in the low 40s on Thursday afternoon. Why would rain + cold temperatures before dawn affect a 2:00 pm doctor's appointment? We are definitely not in New England anymore. When we woke up Thursday morning, I turned on the news to see if school was canceled. It was a 2-hour delay (even though temps were above freezing and the roads were fine), so preschool was delayed 1 hour. It's only 3 hours long! We were assigned snack this week, though, so we had to go. A bunch of moms showed up at 9 am because they didn't think to check to see if the rain had delayed school opening. This morning the forecaster said we were expecting "the worst winter storm in years. 1 to 3 inches of snow." Woo-hoo! Snow! Ethan was beside himself with excitement. It was supposed to start at noon. It didn't. It rained most of the afternoon. There were a few flurries of snow, but nothing started sticking until after sunset, when the kids were already in bed. My mom pointed out that I could take Ethan out in the morning before church (since it will be gone after), but that would mean playing in the snow in the freezing cold before sunrise and before Colin wakes up, then coming in and getting them ready and out the door by 8:30 am. I'm not sure I'm that good of a mom. Jason's in Florida at a conference until Wednesday night. He's staying at a gorgeous resort on the beach between Miami and Ft Lauderdale. He just called to tell me that he's sitting on the balcony of his 25th floor room looking at the Atlantic ocean, which he spent the afternoon diving. He was trying to convince me that I could hop a flight Monday morning, dive with him in the afternoon, go to dinner with him Monday night, sleep through the night, and fly home Tuesday morning. I am so, so tempted, but I just cannot be away from Colin yet. I'm not ready. I don't know when I will be, but I know it's not now. Not that I'm not so, so tempted. But really, could you leave this face? He had his 4-month appointment yesterday...they toughed it out and opened despite the rain. He's over 18 pounds and almost 28 inches long...the pediatrician couldn't believe he'd put on 5 pounds since his 2-month visit. Growing great but way too fast!

8 comments:

*megan said...

It snows by you? I had no idea. I loved the sarcastic weather comments. And that Colin is so darn cute.

Ann said...

Remind me of storm watch in Southern California...usually meant it might be cloudy.

Go to Florida. Take Colin with you! He's so good natured you'll forget he's there.

Kimberly said...

I bet the boat captain wouldn't mind keeping an eye on my 4-month old while Jason and I dive. Right?

Brooke said...

Way to go Colin! He has passed Nathan up. Chunky babies are the best.

Anonymous said...

It snowed twice when we lived there and all the grocery stores shut down and all the schools closed for the day. They almost canceled church. It was hilarious. I guess one year Raleigh had freezing rain and snow but they didn't cancel school and so kids were stuck at school till one in the morning because there was gridlock on the freeway for 9 hours. Anyway, your post made me laugh.

Mandy said...

What a doll Colin is. I want to meet him someday. Maybe at the arranged wedding of him & Lily. Love the NC weather story. What a hoot. I hope Jason had fun in Florida while you were in disasterous weather!!

Restless Mom said...

cute, cute colin! we want to visit with you guys - are you going to be passing through il anytime soon??

by the way, you've been tagged. :)

sleep deprived said...

Colin outweighs Adia by 2 pounds. . .she's a shrimp.

We got several inches of snow this afternoon and no one is cancelling anything, of course.